Grammar - Modal Auxiliaries

 

  Modal Auxiliaries

A modal is a type of auxiliary (helping) verb that is used to express: ability, possibility, permission or obligation. 

Modal verbs never change form, that is, they never take an -s, -ed, or -ing at the end. 

The negatives are formed by adding not after the modal.

Negative contractions are made with some modals- can't, couldn't, mustn't, shouldn't, wouldn't, and so on.


Can  

General ability (present)

I can speak English.

Ask for permission (informal)

Can I borrow your pen please?

To request something

Can you help me please?

Possibility

It can get very cold there at night.

Offer to help someone

Can I carry your bags for you?

Cannot (can’t) = not allowed

You cannot smoke in this room/

You can’t go to the party.

 

Could

General ability in the past

I could play the piano when I was younger.

Ask for Permission (more polite)

Could I use your bathroom please?

To request something (more polite)

Could you pass me the salt please?

Possibility in the past

could + have + past participate

You could have broken your leg.

Suggestion (when asked what to do)

We could go to the movies if you like.

Conditional of Can (would be able to)

If we had some oranges I could make you some fresh juice. (= would be able to)

 

 

May – Might

Uses of May and Might:

 

Possibility

It might rain later so take an umbrella while going out.

Give permission

You may have another cookie if you like.

Ask for permission

May I borrow your pen, please?

Express wishes

May the New Year bring you happiness.

Speculate about past actions

She is late. She may have missed her plane.

 

May or Might?

May and Might can normally be interchanged without a significant difference in meaning. However, Might often implies a smaller chance of something happening (When expressing possibility).

It may rain. (70% chance)

It might rain. (40% chance)

When expressing wishes or giving permission, only May is used.

 

 

Will – Shall

 

Uses of Shall

 

Suggestions

Shall I get a pizza for dinner tonight?

Offers/volunteering

That bag looks heavy. Shall I carry it for you?

Instruction (asking for or giving)

What shall I do with your mail when it arrives

Promises

You shall be the first person to know.

Confirmation (statement of act)

I shall meet your there at 7.

 

Uses of Will

Rapid Decision

I’m thirsty. I think I will buy a drink.

Offer

That looks heavy. I will help you with it.

Promise

Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.

Threat

If you don’t stop, I will tell your mother.

Refusal won’t = will not

She won’t listen to anything I say.

 

Uses of Should

 

Advice or Suggestion

Your hair is too long. You should get a haircut.

The situation likely in the present

Mary should be at home now. Give her a call.

Likely in the future (Prediction)

They should win tonight, they’re a better team.

Should + Have + past participate

Meaning: The subject did not fulfill their obligation in the past or did not act sensibly.

You should have given your boss the report yesterday when he asked for it.

Should + be + verb -ing

Meaning: The subject is not fulfilling their obligation not or not acting sensibly.

You should be wearing your seatbelt.

We should be studying for the test right now.

 

 Click here for worksheet 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class-5 EVS, Chapter-13, A Shelter so High! , Additional Exercises with Solutions/ NCERT

Class-5, EVS, Chapter-18, No Place for Us?, Additional Exercises with Solutions / NCERT

Class-5 EVS Chapter-1 Super Senses/NCERT

Class-3 EVS, Chapter-8 Flying High, Additional exercises with solutions

Class-4 EVS Chapter-4 The Story of Amrita