Class-5 English (Marigold) Unit-3_1 My Shadow, Solutions of exercises of NCERT book / CBSE Syllabus


Unit -3_1
My Shadow
_________________________________________________________________________
New Words
Shadow- darkness at a place caused by preventing light from reaching
Proper- real and satisfactory
Shoots up- grows or increases quickly
Lazy- very relaxed
Sleepyhead- a sleepy or lazy person
India-rubber ball- a ball that can bounce very high
Buttercup- a yellow flower
Arrant- bad

Let's Read

Q. What do you think your shadow looks like?
Ans- I think my shadow looks like me.

Q. Why do you think your shadow jumps into bed before you can?
Any- My shadow appears to jump into bed before I can because it is in front of me at that time.

Q. What time of the day do you think it is when your shadow is the tallest? Why?
·         Morning (√)
·         Afternoon
·         Night
Ans- My is tallest in the morning because is the sun is low in sky in the morning.

Read the lines from the poem and answer the following.
            He is very very like me.
            From the heels up to the head!

(1)  Who does he refer to?
Ans- ‘He’ refers to the shadow of child.

(2)  Who does me refer to?
Ans- ‘Me’ refers to the child.

(3)  Why are he and me alike?
Ans- ‘He’ and ‘me’ are alike as the shadow and child are alike.

Let’s Talk

Work in pairs and discuss the following.

What would you do if
·         A dog chases you?
Ans- If a dog chases me, I will stand still and will walk slowly once he moves away.

·         You have forgotten your homework copy at home?
Ans- If I have forgotten my homework copy at home, I will say sorry for this and submit it the next day.

·         You are alone in a room and the lights go out?
Ans- If I am alone in a room and the light goes out, I will be calm and switch on the emergency lamp.

Fun Time
·         Shine a torch behind your hand and see its shadow on the wall.
·         Move the torch a little away from your hand and see the shadow on the wall.
Do you find a difference in the size of the hand on the wall?

Yes, as we move the torch away from hand, its shadow becomes small.

Working Together

Work in a group of five.
·         Make a large hand on a plain sheet.
·         Mark the names of fingers, thumb and palm on the hand. Use the hints given in the box.
Fore
Middle
Ring
Small
thumb

Do the actions as given below, and observe which part or fingers, of your hand is being used..
Actions
Part of finger/hand used
Point at a door
Forefinger
Bounce a ball
Palm
Scratch your chin
Forefinger and thumb
Twist your ear
Forefinger and thumb
Comb your hair
All fingers and palm
Draw with a pencil
Thumb and forefinger, rest of the fingers give support
Touch a flower
Forefinger

Let’s Write

Fill in the blanks using one of the words given in brackets.
1.    Where is the child whose parents have come to school? (who/ whose/which)
2.    I saw many houses which were quite spacious. (which/whose/who)
3.    Mathematics, which is my favourite subject, is so interesting. (who/which/that)
4.    The poem that you read out, is so lovely. (whose/which/that)
5.    I know the street which he lives on. (whose/ that/which)
6.    I like reading books that have pictures in it. (that/who/which)
7.    The old lady whom I met in your house is my neighbor. (whom/that which)

Complete this description by answering the questions below.
            What do you think is the name of the dog?
Why is she called tht?
What colour is she?
Do you think she is friendly?
What does she like to eat?
Write a few lines on Mithoo and his little dog named shadow.
Mithoo has a pet dog named shadow. She is called shadow as she is always with mithoo wherever he goes. Shadow is a white coloured dog. She is a friendly dog. Milk-roti is her favourite food.

Say Aloud
Show
Shadow
Fish
Bush
Ship
Sheep
Dish
Wash
Shell
Shade
Wish
Brush

When the sun shines, I can see
My shadow right in front of me
When I walk, my shadow walks!
When I hop, my shadow hops!
When I jump, my shadow jumps
And when I stop, my shadow stops!

LOUISE BINDER SCOTT

Act out the poem as you read it slowly.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class-5 EVS, Chapter-13, A Shelter so High! , Additional Exercises with Solutions/ NCERT

Class-5, EVS, Chapter-18, No Place for Us?, Additional Exercises with Solutions / NCERT

Class-5 EVS Chapter-1 Super Senses/NCERT

Class-3 EVS, Chapter-8 Flying High, Additional exercises with solutions

Class-4 EVS Chapter-4 The Story of Amrita