Class-5 English (Marigold) Unit-5_2 Rip Van Winkle, Solutions of exercises of NCERT book / CBSE Syllabus


Unit – 5_2
Rip Van Winkle
____________________________________________________________________________
New Words
Foothills- lower hills (at the base of mountain)
Marbles- a game in which marbles are rolled at one another
Fences- a barrier between two areas of land
Idled away- time spend doing very little
Astray- out of the correct path
Daydreaming- idle speculation
Grizzled hair- partly grey hair
Ninepins-  A game in which players try to knock over skittles by a rolling ball
Thunder- A loud noise that you hear from sky after a flash of lightning
Gaze-look steadily at someone or something for a long time
Whistled- sound made by forcing breath out by lips or teeth
Surprised- amazed
Stroked- move hand slowly and gently over something
Astonishment- a feeling of great surprise
Neighbour- someone who lives near you

Fun with New Words

Circle the correct meaning of given words.

Idled away
Wasted
Rested
Admired
Constant
Coffee
Construct
Steady
Companion
Dog
Stranger
Partner
Realise
To understand
To set free
Real
Descend
To not send
To be decent
To move down
Barrel
A wooden container
A musical instrument
A bag
Contents
To be happy
The ingredients
The index of a book

Match the words in the box with their meanings.

Grizzled                                   astonished                               foothills                                    stroked                                    familiar


Near the lower part of mountain
Foothills
With grey hair
Grizzled
To rub gently
Stroked
To be very surprised
Astonished
Known to you
familiar

Let’s Read

Say whether the following sentences are True or False.



1.
Rip was kind to children.
True
2
Rip was a hardworking man.
False
3.
The short old man on the mountain was his constant companion.
False
4.
Rip helped the old man on the mountains because he wanted to have a drink from the barrel.

False
5.
Rip was away for twenty years because he was asleep on the mountains.
True
6.
The drink from the barrel made him asleep for twenty years.
True
7.
Nobody recognized Rip when he came back because he had reached the wrong village.

False

 Complete the following sentences.
1-    Rip’s village was situated at the foothills of Kaatskill mountains.
2-    The children of the village loved him because he played with them.
3-    Wolf, the dog was his constant companion.
4-    The villagers stared at him because they didn’t recognize him because of his long beard and old age.
5-    The old women who recognized Rip was his old neighbor.

Let’s Write

Work in groups of four.

1-    What were the strange things about the men on the mountains?
(a)  They all were dressed in the same way.
(b)  All of them had beards of various shapes and colours.
(c)   They were of small size.
(d)  Even though they were playing a game, their faces were serious.

2-    What kind of a man was Rip Van Winkle?
(a)  He was a kind neightbour.
(b)  He was a simple and good natured man.
(c)   He was ready to help anyone.
(d)  He was liked by everyone.
(e)  He was loved by the children of village.
(f)    He was very lazy.

Vocabulary Building
Pick out the names of the games mentioned in the story.

Flying kite
(√)
Chess

Ninepins
(√)
Shooting marbles

Mountain-climbing

Shooting
(√)
Skipping

Hopping


Sometimes we join two words to make a describing word. For example, Rip was a good-natured man, everybody liked him.
Here are some more describing words. Use them to complete the given paragraph.

Long-sleeved                          high-heeled                             well-dressed                open-mouthed sweet-looking                         odd-looking                             part-time

Mr. Das has a part-time job in a clothed shop. Yesterday, an odd-looking woman walked into the shop. She was wearing high-heeled shoes. A sweet-looking  dog was with her. “I want a long-sleeved shirt for my dog” she said. “For your dog?” asked Mr. Das, open-mouthed in surprise. “Yes,” replied the woman. “I want him to be well-dressed for my new party.

Silent letters
What is common in the following groups of words?

(1)  Knee, knife, knot, know                                  Silent k
(2)  Neighbour, daughter, fight, straight                Silent g
(3)  Honest, honour, hour, heir                              Silent h

Try to make more silent letter words.

(1)  Gnat -              gnaw, sign, high, light
(2)  Tongue-          fatigue, league, analogue, applique
(3)  Chalk-             half, calf, chalk, talk
(4)  Whistle-           castle, listen, whistle, pastle
  
Read the two paragraphs given below.

My mother is always awake before anyone else in the family. I usually wake up after 6 o’clock. I loll around lazily for a few minutes. Then I get up and dressed for school.
At bedtime, I read a story book. When I feel tired, I lie down and go to sleep very quickly. I fall asleep in no time at all!!

(1)  Now find the opposites of following word from the paragraphs and complete the table.
Asleep
Awake
Wake up
Sleep
Get up
liedown
lazily
Quickly

(2)  Fill in the blanks using the words in the previous question.
a.    Wake up and get up quickly! You will be late for school.
b.    Shh! The baby is asleep. Don’t make a sound, or she will wake up.
c.     Are you still awake? You should be asleep now or you will not be able to get up in the morning for the school.

Let’s Talk
 Lots of things must have happened in the village when Rip was away. Image you are the neighbor who greets Rip after 20 years. One student should act as Rip. Tell Rip about all that had happened in the village after he left.
           
Talk about what had happened to his family, to his friends, to the other villages, to the children he played with, the changes in the village etc. Your teacher will guide you.

You may start this way: Guess what happened on the day you left. When you didn’t come home in the evening, your wife looked for you all around the village along with your neighbours. Next day, she gave a missing report in the police station. Your friends and villagers took care of your farms. The children, you played with have grown up and working now. The village has got good roads, electricity, a college and internet-connectivity now.

Read the speech bubbles. Who walks to the school most often? Put them in order.

Anu:     I don’t usually walk to school. I often go by cycle.
John:   I never walk to school. I live very far away.
Arjun:   I always walk to school. I live right opposite to the school.
Mini:    I sometimes walk to the school, at times I take the school bus also.
Nazim: I usually walk to school. It’s a nice way to start a day.

Correct Order

Arjun:   I always walk to school. I live right opposite to the school.
Nazim: I usually walk to school. It’s a nice way to start a day.
Mini:    I sometimes walk to the school, at times I take the school bus also.
Anu:     I don’t usually walk to school. I often go by cycle.
John:   I never walk to school. I live very far away.

Creative Writing
Write about yourself using the following expressions (do you play in the park, go to bed late, fuss over food, study hard, etc.?)

Always             frequently        usually             often                sometimes                  rarely

For example: I always do my work neatly.
1-    I often go the park with my mother..
2-    I usually like to play football.
3-    I sometimes make fuss over food.
4-    I frequently visit my grandparents’ house.
5-    I always study hard.
6-    I rarely go to bed late.

Use the following clues to complete the following exercise.

Play                 stop                 buy                  learn                see                  meet                learn            be                    eat                   go                    travel               start                 read     visit

Write three new things that you have done in the last three year.

(a)  I have started playing football.
(b)  I have learn to bicycle.
(c)   I have visited Mt. Abu.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class-5 EVS, Chapter-13, A Shelter so High! , Additional Exercises with Solutions/ NCERT

Class-5, EVS, Chapter-18, No Place for Us?, Additional Exercises with Solutions / NCERT

Class-5 EVS Chapter-1 Super Senses/NCERT

Class-3 EVS, Chapter-8 Flying High, Additional exercises with solutions

Class-4 EVS Chapter-4 The Story of Amrita