Class-5 English (Marigold) Unit-3 Robinson Crusoe- Discoveres a Footprint, Solutions of exercises of NCERT book / CBSE Syllabus


Unit -3
Robinson Crusoe
Discovers a Footprint
____________________________________________________________________________
New Words
Savages - people in primitive state
Mainland - large continuous extent of l a n d
Wondered -go from place to place without a definite route
Bolder - more confident
Inhabited - lived in
Amazed - filled with surprise
Imagination - ability to form pictures or ideas in your mind
Confused- do not know exactly what is happening or what to do
Frightened - annexures or afraid of something
Savages - someone or something extremely cruel, violent and uncontrolled

Let's Read

Q. What made Robinson Crusoe think that the print on the ground was a footprint?
Ans- The footprint had heels, toes and every part of foot. This made Robinson Crusoe think that the print on the ground was a footprint.

Q. Why was Robinson afraid when he looked at the bushes and trees?
Ans- Robinson was mistaking every bush and tree to be a man. Therefore he was afraid when he looked at the bushes and trees.

Q. Why did Robinson pray when he saw the footprint?
Ans- Robinson prayed for his protection when he saw the footprint.

Choose the correct answer
1-    Robinson ran back to his home, as fast he could because he
a.    was racing
b.    was afraid (√)
c.     was in a hurry to go home

2-    He could not sleep because
a.    There was an animal outside his cave.
b.    he thoughts that savages had come from the mainland. (√)
c.     his bed was uncomfortable.

3-    Why was Robinson Crusoe sure that it was not his footprint?
a.    It did not look like human footprint
b.    It looked smaller than his.
c.     He had not come to this part of the beach in a long time (√)

4-    Where was Robinson Crusoe?
a.    On a boat.
b.    In a town.
c.     Alone on an island.
d.    On an aeroplane

Let's Talk
How would you feel if you saw unknown footprints outside your front door?

Upon seeing the unknown footprints outside my front door, I would enquire about it from other family members.

If you were alone at home and suddenly someone knocked at door what would you do?

If I am alone at home and suddenly someone knocks at door, I would ask his or her name and then confirm it by Looking through the fisheye lens before opening the door.

Let's Write

The words in the sentences are jumbled. Write them in order.

(a)  Alone was not Robinson an island on
Robinson was not alone on an island.

(b)  Was Island the inhabited.
The island was inhabited.

(c)   Footprint To someone this belonged
This footprint belonged to someone.

(d)  I around me looked
I looked around me.

(e)  I went the towards footprint large
I went towards the large footprint.

(f)    Was afraid I now.
I was afraid now.

Fill in the blanks with the correct word.
And      but       because          so

(i)    I was frightened but curious.
(ii)   I decided to go to the beach so I went along the water's edge.
(iii)  I came as fast as I could because I was frightened.
(iv)  I was very tired and confused.

Write a story on strange footprints.
·         Where did you see the footprints?
·         What sort of a day was it?
·         Did you see them at night?
·         What happened when you followed the footprints?
·         What did you see?
·         What happened then?

Last Sunday morning when came out of the room, I saw some strange footprints on the floor. These were the footprints of some animal. These footprints were stretched from the window of my elder brother's room to the kitchen. On entering the kitchen, I saw the bowl of milk empty and without lid. Now, I could guess easily that these were the footprints of a cat. The cat drank the milk and went out of house from the window of my elder brother's room.

Used joining words given below and join the sentences in column a and b
or                     and                  so                    but                   because

A
B
I can sing well.
 I forgot to post it.
She wore a raincoat.
 It was raining.
We may go to Shimla.
 He was late to school.
He wanted a book for his birthday.
 We may go to Darjeeling.
He missed the school bus.
 He wanted a football for his birthday.
I wrote the letter.
 I can't dance at all.

(i)    I wrote the letter but I forgot to post it.
(ii)   I can sing well but I can't dance at all.
(iii)  We may go to Shimla or we may go to Darjeeling
(iv)  He wanted a book or a football for his birthday.
(v)   He missed the school bus so he was late to school.

Fun Time

Look at the footprint shown here.
(Refer textbook for image of footprint)
Hint: This is the footprint of the first man on the moon. His name was Neil Armstrong.

Let's create a pyramid!
Use the following clues:
1.  A two letter words beginning with B
2.  A three letter word beginning with C
3.  A three letter word beginning with D.
4.  A five letter word beginning with E.
5.  A six letter word beginning with F.

B-E
     C-O-W
      D-O-L-L
    E-L-I-T-E
   F-A-C-T-O-R

Let's Work in Pairs

Have a conversation with your partner based on the picture below. You can start as -

Hunter 1: “Look at the footprints in the mud!”
Hunter 2: It seems that an animal has passed from here.
Hunter 1: Do you have any guess about this animal?
Hunter 2: This may be a bear’s footprint.
Hunter1: There are no bears in the nearby forest.  I am sure that these are the footprints of a panther.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class-5 EVS, Chapter-13, A Shelter so High! , Additional Exercises with Solutions/ NCERT

Class-5, EVS, Chapter-18, No Place for Us?, Additional Exercises with Solutions / NCERT

Class-5 EVS Chapter-1 Super Senses/NCERT

Class-3 EVS, Chapter-8 Flying High, Additional exercises with solutions

Class-4 EVS Chapter-4 The Story of Amrita