Class-4 EVS Chapter 25 Spicy Riddles/NCERT

Chapter 25
Spicy Riddles

Identify these spices and write their names:


Solve these riddles:
I can be powdered fine. I make food hot and spicy. If too much of me is added, your eyes and nose may begin to water and you cry!
Red Chilli
Grind me and powder me to make your food look yellow. I am mixed in oil by granny and applied to wounds. I heal all your wounds-big and small.
Turmeric
Small and round like a pearl, I am black when I am whole. A sharp and spicy taste is mine. Whether it is sweet or salty, I am added as a special treat.
Black pepper
I am a small and skinny chap. Sometimes I am brown and sometimes black. Added to hot oil and ghee. I spread my fragrance all around when I am roasted. Curd and jaljeera are favourite to me.
Cumin
I look like zeera though green am I. To make your stomach healthy I always try. Eat me after your meal, I refresh your mouth, you surely feel.
Fennel Seeds
I look like a nail but a bud am I. Chocolate brown colour and a strong smell have I. When your toothache make you shout, I soothe the pain in your mouth.
Clove
                                                                                             (Click here for Class-4 English, Marigold) 
Answer these questions
Q.1 Name one spice which is put into both sweet and salty things?
And- Black pepper is the spice which is put both sweet and salty things.

Q.2 Find out what is put into food to make its taste sour?
Ans- Mango powder (amchur) is put into food to make its taste sour.

Q.3 Name any four spcice grown in Kerala.
Ans- Following spices are grown in Kerala:
(a) Tejpatta
(b) Small cardamom
(c) Big cardamom
(d) Black pepper

Q.4 What is Garam Masaala? What are its ingredients?
Ans- Garam Masala is a powder of a mixture of several spices such as cardamom (small and big), clove, zeera seeds, cinnamon, black pepper, dry ginger etc.

Fill in the blanks:
(Red Chilli, Fennel seeds, Turmeric, Black pepper, Clove)
(1) Turmeric is used to make the food look yellow.
(2) Black pepper is a small and round like a pearl.
(3) Red Chilli  make the food hot and spicy.
(4) Clove looks like a nail but it is a bud.
(5) Fennel seeds keeps our stomach healthy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class-5 EVS, Chapter-13, A Shelter so High! , Additional Exercises with Solutions/ NCERT

Class-5, EVS, Chapter-18, No Place for Us?, Additional Exercises with Solutions / NCERT

Class-5 EVS Chapter-1 Super Senses/NCERT

Class-3 EVS, Chapter-8 Flying High, Additional exercises with solutions

Class-4 EVS Chapter-4 The Story of Amrita